Surface Mount Transistor in Mobile Phone and Their Function
Surface Mount Transistor in Mobile Phone – SMT Transistor is SMD part made of semiconductors like silicon or germanium. Types of SMD Transistors: NPN, PNP
Surface Mount Transistor or SMT Transistor is an SMD electronic component made up of semiconductor material like silicon or germanium. There are 2 types of Surface Mount Transistors:
- NPN Type
- PNP Type
Terminals of a Transistor
There are three terminals of a surface mount transistor or thru-hole transistor:
- Ammeter (E) – Flows current on receipt of forward bias. Electrons are emitted in NPN transistors whereas PNP transistors emit ‘holes’.
- Collector (C) – The terminal of the transistor which receives the emitted electrons or holes. Collector always works or reverse bias mode.
- Base (B) – The layer between ammeter and collector is called base. Base displays the property of showing low resistance in ammeter junction forward bias and high in collector junction reverse bias.
Facts about Transistor
- Indicating Character: Q or V, TR
- Function: Switching, Amplification, Regulating Voltage.
- Unit: Transistors are identified according to the code.
Digital Surface Mount Transistor
In digital transistor, resistance in built in the base and ammeter. This transistor is also called RET (Resistance Equipped Transistor). This type of transistor is used in mobile phones for reducing the current consumption.
Field Effect Transistor (FET)
This type of transistor is controlled by voltage instead of current. Flow of working current through a semiconductor channel is switched and regulated by the effect of electrical charge in the area near channel which is called gate. This is called unipolar transistor. FET can be P-Channel type or N-Channel Type.
Metal Oxide Semiconductor (MOSFET)
MOSFET is active semiconductor components. MOSFET has 3 terminals – source, drain and gate. There are 2 types of MOSFET:
- P-Channel MOSFET (PMOS)
- N-Channel MOSFET (NMOS)