Mobile Phone Repairing Tools & Equipment | Tools to Repair Mobile Cell Phone
When selecting tools and equipment for repairing mobile cell phones, it is important to select the best tools. Cheap or inexpensive tools and equipment may not be handy when repairing a mobile phone. On the other hand, best quality little expensive tools and equipment will help you to repair a mobile phone easily and comfortable. I am personally trained in mobile cell phone repairing and my personal experience says that we must always select and buy the best tools available in the market or online. These good quality tools may cost a little more but in the long term you will be happy that you bought the best tools.
There are hundreds of tools for mobile phone repairing available in the market. It is important to select the best brand. Below all the tools and equipment needed for mobile cell phone repairing:
- Soldering Iron: Used to solder small components like capacitor,
resistor, diode, transistor, regulator, speaker, microphone, display etc. A 50 watt soldering iron is good enough for most mobile phone repairing job. When buying a soldering iron, select the one that is easy to hold and does not burn you hand. The soldering iron must have option to choose and select different types and shapes of soldering tips or bits. These tips or bits must be replaceable. It must also be ESD-Safe (Antistatic) because most electronic components in a mobile phone are very sensitive and can get damaged due to static charge or static electricity. Hakko and Weller are two world renowned brands who manufacture, sell and export world class soldering irons and other soldering tools and equipments.
- Soldering Station: A soldering station has 2 units – a station and an
iron. It has option to control temperature depending on the heat requirement of the soldering job being done. The soldering iron is attached with the soldering station. It is better and more convenient than traditional soldering iron. It makes soldering work much easier and faster. When buying a soldering station for mobile phone repairing one must always select an ESD-Safe (Antistatic) model. Hakko and Weller are two world renowned brands who manufacture, sell and export world class soldering irons and other soldering tools and equipments.
- PCB Holder / PCB Stand: A PCB (Printed Circuit Board) holder or PCB
stand is used to old the PCB of a mobile phone while soldering or repairing. It holds the PCB very strongly and doesn’t allows it to move thus helping in repairing. Again, it is important and wise to select a good quality PCB holder rather than a cheaper and inexpensive one.
- Solder Wire: Solder wire is used to solder electronic components, ICs
or jumper. Composition of most solder wire is Tin / Lead in the ratio 60:40 or 63:37. Since the introduction of RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) from electronics, more and more companies are using lead-free solder. Lead-free solder wire is available in many compositions but the most common composition is Tin / Silver / Copper in the Ratio 96.5:3.0:0.5. Solder wire is available in different diameters such 2.0mm, 1.5mm, 1.0mm, 0.5mm, 0.2mm etc. For mobile phone repairing 0.5mm solder wire is best suitable. Kester is a world renowned manufacturer and supplier of solder wire and other soldering material.
- Thinner or PCB Cleaner: Thinner or PCB cleaner is used to clean the PCB of a mobile phone. The most common PCB cleaner used in mobile phone repairing is IPA or Isopropyl Alcohol. It is important to buy only good quality PCB cleaner as poor quality PCB cleaners can damage the board.
- Jumper Wire: This is a thin laminated or coated copper wire used to jumper from one point to another on the track of a mobile phone while repairing. Most people doing the work of mobile repairing do jumper to solve many problems.
- Blade Cutter: This is used to remove lamination from jumper wire. It can also be used for several other purposes.
- Point Cutter: It is used for cutting.
- Nose Cutter: It is used for cutting.
- Precision Screwdriver: It is used to remove and tighten screws while assembling and dissembling a mobile phone. Precision screwdrivers of sizes T4, T5, T6 and forehead are good for most mobile repairing job.
- Tweezers: These are needed to hold electronic components, ICs, jumper wire etc while soldering and Desoldering.
- Brush: These are used for cleaning the PCB of a mobile phone while repairing. It is important to buy only ESD-Safe cleaning brushes.
- Multimeter: Used to find faults, check track and components. Always buy a good quality reliable ESD-Safe digital Multimeter for mobile repairing works.
- Hot Air Blower: It is also called SMD (Surface Mount Device) rework system and SMD repair system. It has control to regulate or manage temperature and flow or hot air. Always buy a good quality ESD-Safe hot air blower.
- Battery Booster: It is used to boost the power of battery of a mobile phone.
- Ultrasonic Cleaner: Used to clean PCB of a mobile phone and electronic components.
- BGA Kit: Used to Reball and repair ball-type ICs. BGA stands for Ball Grid Array.
- Magnifying Lamp: It is used to see the magnified view of the PCB of a mobile phone. Most magnifying lamps also have light. Magnifying lamps are available in different magnification such as 3x, 4x, 5x, 10x, 50x etc.
- Mobile Opener: These are used to open the housing or body of a mobile phone.
- DC Power Supply: Regulated DC (Direct Current) power supply is used to supply DC current to a mobile phone. Most repair person used DC power supply to switch ON a mobile phone without battery.
- Liquid Flux: It is used to clean PCB track and legs or pins of electronic components while soldering. Liquid flux improves quality of soldering. Kester flux is world renowned for good quality.
- Paste Flux: This is also used while soldering.
- Solder Paste: This is solder in molted semi-solid form. It looks like paste. Solder paste is mainly used for Reballing of ICs.
- Cleaning Sponge: This is used to clean tip of soldering iron while soldering.
- Desoldering Wire: Desoldering wire or Desolder wire is used to remove excess solder from track of PCB. Chemtronics is world renowned manufacturer and supplier of Desoldering wire.
- Screwdriver Kit: It has several screwdrivers of different shapes and sizes to dissemble and assemble a mobile phone. Aven Toolsis a world renowned manufacturer, exporter and supplier of all kinds of tools and tool kits.
- IRDA or Infrared Workstation: This machine is similar to hot air blower. Only difference is that it gives heat through infrared. It is very precise and give heat only where it is needed thus preventing any damage to nearby electronic components on a PCB.
- LCD Tester: Used to check whether LCD screen of a mobile phone is faulty or not.
- Microscope: It is used to see a magnified view of PCB or electronic components. These are available in different zoom options. Many microscopes can also be connected to a computer or a monitor.
- Test JIG Box: This device is used to diagnose and find fault or problem in a mobile phone. It helps the mobile phone to work and function normally outside its case. This helps to test and check voltage and other test points on the PCB. It simple words it helps the a mobile phone to work without battery.
- Wrist Strap: It is work in the wrist of the person who is repairing a mobile phone. It helps to discharge or ground static charge thus preventing the PCB or electronic components from any damage.
- Antistatic Hand Gloves: It is important to wear ESD-Safe hand gloves while repairing a mobile phone to prevent PCB and electronic components from static charge.
- Antistatic Mat: It is laid or placed on the table or workbench where mobile repairing is done. The mat is grounded using a grounding cord or normal grounding wire. This also prevents damage from static electricity.
- Antistatic Apron: It is a dress work by people who repair mobile phones. This also helps to discharge static electricity.
- Smoke Absorber: This is like an exhaust fan that helps to filter smoke that comes out while soldering and Desoldering.
- Battery Tester: This device is used to test and analyze status or condition of battery of a mobile cell phone.
- Mobile Phone Dictionary
- Card Level Parts of a Mobile Phone
- Mobile Phone Parts Identification | How to Identify Parts & Components on PCB of Mobile Phone
- Parts of a Mobile Cell Phone and Their Function (Big Parts)
- Small Parts / Electronic Components of Mobile Phone and Their Function
- Counting Legs or Pins of IC
- Current | Electric Current | AC (Alternate Current) | DC (Direct Current)
- Circuit Symbol / Circuit Schematic Symbols of Electronic Components
- How to Check Mobile Cell Phone Settings
- How to Open and Disassemble a Mobile Cell Phone
- How to Use Multimeter
- Smartphone Repairing
- How to Jumper in Mobile Phone Repairing
Latest posts by Santosh Das (see all)
- Mobile Phone Repairing Tutorial, Tips, Free PDF Download - June 13, 2015
- Hot Air Blower for Mobile Phone Repairing - June 1, 2015
- How to Increase Battery Life of Smartphone - May 11, 2015