Counting Legs or Pins of IC
Learn How to Read, Count and Identify Legs / Leads or Pins or Balls of an SMD IC Chip / BGA.
Any mobile phone PCB has several IC or Integrated Circuit. These are SMD or Surface Mount Electronic Components. Before Counting Legs or Pins of IC or understanding how to count legs or pins of any IC, let us learn about IC.
What is an IC?
How Many Types of IC are There?
There are mainly 2 types of ICs:
- Leg-Type IC: This type of IC or SMD Components have legs or pins or leads. These types of ICs are again divided into different categories but we will not discuss it here because it has nothing to do with mobile repairing.
- Ball-Type IC: This type of IC has BGA (Ball Grid Array) underneath the IC. These types of ICs are again divided into different categories but we will not discuss it here because it has nothing to do with mobile repairing.
How to Count Legs or Pins of Leg-Type IC?
Counting of leg-type IC starts in Numerical Digit in Anticlockwise Direction starting from the Nose Point or Cut Point. Have a look at the photo below to understand it clearly.
How to Count Balls of Ball-Type IC?
Counting of Ball-type IC is done in Both Clockwise and Anti-Clockwise Direction. Rows are counted in Digit Numbers (1, 2, 3, 4…) in Clockwise Direction. Columns are counted in Alphabet (A, B, C, D…) in Anti-Clockwise Direction.
NOTE: When counting Columns, “I” and “O” are omitted because they look like “1” and “0”.
This article was aimed at understanding different types of IC and IC Pin Identification or how to read IC Pin Details. The main idea behind counting pins on IC, is to identify Pin No 1 on an IC. If you understood how to identify Pin Number 1 of a IC, you can read all the rest. I hope you found this article on Counting Legs or Pins of IC useful. Do share your thoughts below. Thanks!
- Mobile Phone Repairing Tools
- Card Level Parts of a Mobile Phone
- Resonant Circuit or Tuned Circuit in Mobile Cell Phone
- Types of Filters in Mobile Cell Phone and Their Function
- Sections and Parts Inside a Mobile Cell Phone
- Mobile Phone Parts Identification | How to Identify Parts & Components on PCB of Mobile Phone
- Mobile Phone Repairing Testing Methods
- Mobile Phone Fault Finding for Mobile Cell Phone Repairing
- Parts of a Mobile Cell Phone and Their Function (Big Parts)
- Small Parts / Electronic Components of Mobile Phone and Their Function
- Circuit Symbol / Circuit Schematic Symbols of Electronic Components
- Mobile Phone Software Problems and Solutions
- Mobile Phone Hardware Problems and Solutions